In order to start a site, you need to register a domain name and get a hosting. I have used Bluehost (affiliate link) for both domain registration and hosting for over seven years now. I’ve received excellent and immediate service from them when needed and experienced extremely low downtime (maybe a total of an hour or two each year).
If you shop around you can find discounts and coupons for domain name registration and you can still assign those domains to your Bluehost hosting account.
Bluehost uses CPanel – a common control panel for hosting accounts. The control panel lets you access and activate hosting account features.
To register your domain and set up hosting:
- Register for an account at Bluehost
- Choose your hosting plan
- Once logged into CPanel, click the Domains tab
- Do a search for your domain name
- Follow the instructions to pay for your domain name
- Click on the Domains tab again
- Click the option under Shortcuts to “Assign a domain to your account”
- Follow the instructions to assign your new domain to your hosting account
Now you’ll be able to manage your domain from your CPanel inside Bluehost. You can manage email address for your domain, set up WordPress, upload files, manage your databases, and backup your site.
How to launch your first website?I recommend wordpress.
I absolutely LOVE WordPress – with a little bit of reading, it’s easy enough to set up and very flexible. There are lots of tutorials and videos available for free online. However, you can usually find someone capable of helping you out for just a few bucks.